— Commercial Land for Sale in San Antonio —
The historical Longhorn Quarry opened in 1929
One of four rock quarries operating in San Antonio, Longhorn Quarry was founded in 1929 with a cement plant to extract limestone, the raw material used in making Portland Cement. The quarry was at its peak during WWII because cement was an important commodity during the war. The plant’s employees lived in Longhorn Village, a community near the quarry that included a church, school, playgrounds, parks and a lighted baseball field.